Email List Guidelines
DB-Fishbowl is a private, invitation-only, deaf-blind speaking discussion group.
(revised August 10, 2017)
Welcome to DB-Fishbowl. Over time we have come to feel like a family of like-minded individuals who share the fact that we have dual sensory loss and grew up oral speaking. DB-Fishbowl guidelines are designed to allow you to feel safe in sharing on this email list. They are not meant to be restrictive; rather to allow you to feel comfortable and free to share together without your words or messages being forwarded to other non-member individuals, email lists or organizations.
This document is fluid and will be revised as suggestions are made and adopted. It will be posted at www.db-fishbowl.com and monthly be sent out on the DB-Fishbowl email list and as revisions become necessary.
Subscribing, Unsubscribing and Email Address Change:
- This is a private email list, by invitation only. If you, a current list member, know of anyone you think would be a good fit for this list, you can email email@example.com and include any pertinent information you feel would qualify them for this list; i.e. oral speaking deaf-blind. Please include how you know this person.
- To request technical assistance with unsubscribing yourself from the list, adding or changing an email address or making any other changes, you may send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the webmaster at 559-355-4095.
- Original or reply messages you post must contain your name.
- Cross-Posting is not permitted. This means, when posting to this list, never include other lists or individuals in the "To" or "CC" fields. Likewise, when posting to other lists or individuals, never include this DB-Fishbowl list in the "To" or "CC" fields. This puts the safety and privacy of this list at jeopardy. Please send your posts individually, it takes seconds to do so.
- Three reasons why you should not cross-post: If someone "replies to all" to your cross-post and they are not a member of those lists, the emails for those lists will bounce. That not only will cause the administrator of that list to deal with the bounce, but they will be able to see our cherished private information. If someone "replies to all" to your cross-post and they ARE a member of that other list, they will be able to see our cherished private information. Also, if someone "replies to all" and an individual is in the "TO" line, rather than a list, they will receive our cherished private information.
- Discretion must be used when forwarding to this list material written by others. The identity of authorship must be shown. If what you are forwarding is from a publication, the name of the publication, the author of the article, and the date it was written should be included. When possible, the link to the article on the web should also be included.
- When replying on a thread with the subject line unchanged, think about first deleting the existing text before typing your message, but leave the part you are referencing. This eliminates the need for some members reading a lot before realizing only the first part is your message.
- Contracted typing such as may be seen in text messages is not permitted. Contracted words such as what would be used in contracted (grade 2) braille is not permitted. Reading messages with this included is difficult for members of this list who use screen-readers. Thank you for spelling out your words. We do understand that we all make mistakes, and some programs’ auto-correct feature can be problematic.
- This list is set to ‘reply to the group’ for list security purposes. If you would like to reply or send a message to only one person, it can be sent off-list to the individual if you have their email address. It is okay to share your email address and request an individual to email you off-list.
- Please remember we expect that all list members will exercise discretion when posting any information of a personal nature to this list.
- Keep the subject line relevant to the message body. It is both considerate and helpful to change the subject line of a message to which you are replying if you suspect that your reply may generate a new topic of conversation.
- Negative criticism is discouraged; rather a spirit of courteousness and encouragement is expected.
While forwards to this list of newspaper and magazine articles as well as other items of interest are welcome on the DB-Fishbowl list, please keep in mind the following guidelines:
- Remove all extraneous headers which cause major clutter for users of screen readers and screen magnification software.
- All forwarded links should be accompanied by either an explanation or some or all of the text contained within.
- The identity of authorship should be shown. If what you are forwarding is from a publication, the name of the publication, the author of the article, and the date it was written should be included. When possible, the link to the article on the web should also be included.
Moderator Responsibilities, and How They Will Affect List Participants:
- Violation of any List Guideline will result in either a warning, on or off List, or a suspension, at the Moderator or List Owner’s discretion.
- Personal attacks, posting of sexually explicit material, and swearing at individuals or groups will be grounds for immediate action. Swearing means either with swear words, or with language which can be reasonably construed to imply swear words.
- Threads of discussion are under the sole control of the Moderator. If it is believed that a discussion is not relevant to this List or has outlived its useful life, the Moderator can call for an end to that discussion thread. List members will have 24 hours to comply with the request.
Marie Anne Fousek, California
Valerie Luther, Virginia
Last Updated: August 10, 2017
* * *